About Arogyavaram Medical Center


Arogyavaram Medical Centre, formerly known as Union Mission Tuberculosis Sanatorium is a well equipped 350 bedded General Hospital , and was inaugurated in the year 1915 by The Lord Pentland, The Governor of Madras. Dr. Christian Frimodt Moller was appointed as the First Medical Superintendent. It has rendered a pioneering service in the treatment of Tuberculosis in this country. With the Ushering in of the era of Domiciliary care of TB (which was also advocated by this Institution as early as 1920) the need for sanatorium diminished. Today TB has re-emerged to be the number one killer disease with great losses in terms of human life and disability. With the existing social, religious and cultural restrictions on the women in this part of the country, the problem of women with TB is an emergency on its own.


It was in the early years of the present century that the problem of Tuberculosis began to be faced by the general public. The attitude to the disease was one of despondency. Even In the west of situation was no better and hopes of cure waned as method after method was tired with little success. Thus the situation appeared to be rather hopeless and the isolation of the TB patients to prevent infection to others in special institution called "Sanatoira" was thought of as the only service that could be rendered to them. This was the atmosphere in which a beginning was made with Sanatorium Treatment to help suffers from Tuberculosis whose state seemed so helpless and hopeless. In such a situation, the Union Mission Tuberculosis Sanatorium at Arogyavaram was the first Sanatorium in South India.


The climate is more or less equitable and hence all seasons are beneficial for the treatment of any disease. It was registered as a Charitable Institution under Charitable Society Act of 1914, and has rendered yeomen service in the cause of Tuberculosis and its name and fame spread far and wide, patients came from all parts of India and even beyond the borders. The Second decade in the life of the sanatorium was one of steady growth in all directions. The Institution took up the training of Medical and Paramedical workers from other Institutions and in 1927 Laboratory Technicians Course was started.


Advances were made in treatment along the lines found useful in the west.

Surgery was developed particularly from 1928-29. The introduction of surgical method in the cure of Tuberculosis enabled Sanatorium to accept for treatment of moderately advanced cases also. The First Thoracoplasty Operation in India was done here at our Institution around 1922, the surgical unit was gradually equipped

Before introducing new drugs in the market for treatment of Tuberculosis, they were first made available to the Sanatorium for trials. As a consequence, laboratory work was suitably developed specially in the study of the occurrence of resistant bacilli to different to different drugs. A lung condition called "Tropical Eosinophilia" was first described from the wards of sanatorium and further studies on this were done here for the first time.


Government of India requested Union Mission Tuberculosis Sanatorium to conduct a pilot investigation in Madanapalle Town to study the immediate effect of BCG Vaccination in Indian Children, first community-wide X-ray survey for tuberculosis in India in Madanapalle.


Former Prime Minister of India Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru visited this centre in the year 1952 and appreciated the work of sanatorium.


The UMTS was renamed as Arogyavaram Medical Centre and was converted in to a General Hospital in 1975 and was inaugurated by the then Governor of Andhra Pradesh, His Excellency Sri. S. Obul Reddy.


The former Governor of Andhra Pradesh, His Excellency Dr. C. Rangarajan visited Arogyavaram Medical Centre in the year 1998 and appreciated the services of this Institution for the poor and the needy people.


Considering the neglected health needs. It is visualized to established an exemplary Medical College at Arogyavaram Medical Centre. Which would impart a quality medical education par excellence. Considering the unanswered health needs of women in Rural India it is also visualized to train more number of (70%) women doctors who are committed to serve the women in the villages. The Government of Andhra Pradesh


Has issued the essentiality certificate to admit 100 students in the year 2002. Since then, the necessary infrastructure is developed for the establishment of the Medical College and permission from the Ministry is awaited.


Our mission is to train more committed doctors year after year who are willing to serve in rural India.


News & Updates

  • Firehouse
  • Firehouse
  • Firehouse
  • Firehouse
  • Firehouse
  • Firehouse
  • Firehouse
  • Firehouse
  • Firehouse
  • Firehouse
  • Firehouse
  • Firehouse
  • Firehouse
  • Firehouse
  • Firehouse
  • Firehouse